Thursday, February 6, 2014

When God sent us snow, mami gave them Netflix...en Español

Mickey Mouse también habla Español! 
OK, I’m not going to lie, my children DO watch TV. I don’t have cable so there is only so much they can watch. What I do have is Netflix, and I love it! Here’s why: They have an audio and subtitles option that allows me to change the audio to Spanish, if it’s available for that title WOOHOO!!! When I discovered that feature I was out of this world happy, seriously.
Some of the great titles I have been able to find with Spanish audio are: Dumbo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Top Cat, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, really most Disney titles.  Also, NBC has Saturday morning cartoons that have the sap (second audio program) option, so you can get them in Spanish too. Aside from what I get from network TV and Netflix, I hardly ever buy a DVD or Blue-Ray that doesn't offer the option of Spanish audio.
Now, my husband doesn't speak as much Spanish as I do, so, how do I avoid making him feel left out? English subtitles! So even family movie night allows for all of us all to enjoy the show (I admit, nobody likes to read subtitles but it is all a joint effort to make sure our children are bilingual, so sacrifices are necessary)
Hope this little bit of info helps! Even when you are on a budget there are options for Children’s programming in Spanish. Now you can feel a little less guilty for letting your kiddos watch TV since they are reinforcing their Spanish, right? Sit down and enjoy, they might pick up a new word or two.

Hasta Pronto!

Please note: I have only tried this feature on 4 different devices: Nintendo Wii, Vizio smart TV, Kindle Fire and personal computer. I hope it works on yours too.

1 comment:

  1. Genial!, good to know there are so many options that can help kids practice spanish, learn and have fun =)

    ReplyDelete