Wednesday, December 17, 2014

I ♥ FLASHCARDS

I have been asked many times how I got my oldest son to speak Spanish so fluently, and the truth is, I never stopped speaking Spanish to him, even when he tries to talk to me in English. 
From a very early age I focused on enriching his vocabulary by reading to him and taking walks around our neighborhood pointing at different things, from trees and flowers, to cars that drove by, so he could learn colors. 
One other thing that I found of invaluable help (and incredibly affordable) were flashcards. I adore flashcards, they are just such a simple tool to help learn new words and expand vocabulary. I would always carry flashcards with me, in the car, in my purse, they were everywhere. There was something about those colorful flashcards that caught my little one’s attention; he seemed very interested in learning new words, and repeating them out loud. I would just flip card after card and he would tell me on his own. 
At the very beginning, I was mostly focused on teaching my son words, so I bough whatever cards I found on sale (sometimes from the Dollar Store), just making sure they had colorful pictures. As he grew, I focused on finding bilingual cards, so he could start letter recognition. I found very affordable ones at Mardel’s (2.99) and Amazon.com. I used a hole punch and a ring to keep them together and made them portable and mess-free. 
Hope you find this information helpful, you really don’t need a big budget to find useful tools to enrich your little one’s vocabulary, make it a game! 

Hasta Pronto!




No comments:

Post a Comment